Show Mom your love and appreciation by baking her a batch of scrumptious #beautyfood shortbread! Just like its classic counterpart, this treat is light, buttery, and absolutely irresistible… but this one beautifies!
The secret? Skin-saving coconut oil. It mimics the taste and texture of butter in bakery goodies while giving serious hydration from the inside out. The medium chain fatty acids also boost metabolism, allowing your body to use the fats as energy, rather than storing them.
These bites are rich with subtle sweetness, a hint of warm vanilla and toasty almond.
And they make such a pretty gift!
- 3/4 C tapioca flour | easily digested + adds light texture
- 1 C all-purpose gluten-free flour | protein + fiber
- 1 C raw, virgin coconut oil | anti-aging + skin plumping
- ¾ c raw coconut sugar | natural sweetener
- 1 Tbsp bourbon vanilla or 1 vanilla bean | anti-oxidants to help prevent wrinkles
- 1 tsp pure almond extract | retains skin moisture
- ½ – ¾ C raw sliced almonds | vitamin E, prevents cell damage
Preheat oven to 350F.
Warm the coconut oil on a very low flame until completely melted. While it’s heating, whisk the flours and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. If you are using vanilla bean, split the pod and scrape the beans into the bowl. Pour the melted oil over the dry mixture evenly, then add extracts. Mix it as well as you can, then get in there with your hands until everything is evenly coated. The mixture will be a bit crumbly.
Spoon the dough into an 11” x 7” baking pan. Press the dough down evenly with your fingers. Sprinkle the sliced almonds on top, and carefully press them into the dough. Score into 12 cookies, then bake for 18-20 minutes. Ovens vary, so keep an eye on them to ensure they don’t cook too quickly or burn. You want them just golden on the edges. Allow them to cool completely, then store them in an airtight tin.