“I don’t need a bedroom to prove my womanliness. I can convey just as much sex appeal, picking apples off a tree or standing in the rain.” ― Audrey Hepburn.
It’s been a crazy long winter, and everyone is craving sunshine and warm weather. But April showers are here, and I’ve learned a lot from watching my daughter. Instead of complaining about the rain, she gets excited to put on her bright pink Hunter boots and splash in the puddles. As Audrey says, “Happy girls are the prettiest girls”.
So let’s celebrate April showers with five “Gorgeous On-the-Go” tips to look fabulous while having some fun in the rain. We sell most of these products at my boutique spa, Savor Spa, in NYC’s West Village… so stop in if you want a private consult to try before you buy!
1. Prep your skin for the luminous look: Humidity clogs pores, which leads to ugly breakouts. Prep the skin with the alcohol-free Om Aroma Skin Perfecting Toning Mist to keep New York out of your pores. You can slip this multi-tasking friend into your bag and mist to refresh for a skin and aromatherapy pick-me-up before a meeting or a yoga session.
I prefer a mister versus a toner bottle because you can literally mist and go… without the extra step of getting a cotton ball!
2. Waterproof your face: Nothing is more embarrassing than a streak of black mascara running down your face and lipstick slipping and sliding off your lips because of the rain. Get it right before you leave home to keep a polished look with these eco-friendly and waterproof products:
Vapour Atmosphere Luminous Foundation – Water-resistant and sebum-controlling for humid rainy days. Best of all, it’s 100% natural and chemical-free!
Coola Suncare – Don’t think that just because it’s cloudy you are safe from harmful sun rays! The American Academy of Dermatologists (AAD) says that up to 80% of the sun’s UV rays can pass through clouds. Here’s my favorite organic option for SPF.
Tarte Waterproof Mascara – This mascara is guaranteed to stay put through rain, sweat or tears – without harmful toxins like parabens or phthalates.
RMS Cream Eyeshadow – This multi-tasking “eye polish” is great because not only does it moisturize the eyes and give it a light glow, it also is waterproof with no nasty chemicals.
3. Do a casual-chic bun: For an effortless look before running out into the rain – and to avoid getting your tresses wet – I like to pull hair back into a messy high bun. But what about the strays of hair when I don’t have time to work with the hair? Easy! I love the Gurnani jeweled headband. This pulls together the look and gives instant polish with no fuss.
4. De-frizz your hair: For those who want to keep hair down, it’s important to use a frizz and shine hair tamer. Don’t even bother with a curling iron or a straightener… work it, own it! Rahua Omega 9 hair mask is 100% natural and will keep your tresses smooth and silky all day long, even in the humid rain weather.
5. Add a pop of color: It’s all about mindset! On a rainy, gloomy day, be the girl who has fun with it! Invest in some fun, colorful and stylish rain boots. I adore the vegan brand, Melissa Shoes; they have partnered with designers like Jason Wu and Vivienne Westwood to deliver fun high fashion at accessible price points.
How cute are these? Don’t they make you want for rain?
So go on, lady… look fabulous in the rain while conquering the world with your brand of genius!